Good morning SCT friends! It's Monday and we have some news to share! While our team has known for some time, it was the perfect time to share it with you! Over the last few years you've gotten to know our Editor-in-Chief Megan Hoeppner very well. She has led this team in the pursuit of bringing their very best to you through the pages of Scrapbook & Cards Today magazine each quarter. Megan has done an outstanding job. During those few years she and her husband also expanded their family and have two beautiful girls Maggie and Lulu. Cute as buttons they are! Through thoughtful discussion Megan has decided to step back from the busy Editor-in-Chief role to spend more time with her family. The good news? Megan did not want to step away completely so you'll continue to see her each issue as the writer of our Pic Tips column! And that means we'll continue to see her cute girls too!
That leads us to our exciting news today that SCT friend Susan Opel has stepped in to the role as Editor-in-Chief! Susan brings leadership and creativity to this role from her years in the papercraft industry and in publishing with Paper Crafts magazine. I truly can’t think of a more qualified candidate than Susan to continue SCT's vision. She has spent her career building the respect and admiration of audiences in print, online and on social media. As well, Susan has built strong relationships with industry brands and shows a deep understanding of our readers. We are thrilled to have Susan in the Editor-in-Chief role and we hope you'll join us today in congratulating her too!
We asked Susan to join us today to share a little bit about herself and here's what she had to say...
"What a thrill to join you here on the Scrapbook & Cards Today blog! The news is out, and you’re going to be hearing lots more from me as I step into the role of Editor-in-Chief. So fun!
There’s no denying that I have some big shoes to fill as Megan takes time to care for her adorable girlies. She’s just a text or quick drive away if I need her advice, and for that I am incredibly grateful. Many thanks to Megan for her hard work making SCT what it is today. She deserves a serious shout out!
And Catherine – how could you not LOVE this awesome lady? The two of us have already spent hours on the phone scheming and planning, and let me tell you SHE IS MY PEOPLE! I’m incredibly honored that she had the faith in me to start this fantastic partnership.
The Summer 2017 issue is in the works, and we are stoked to see things coming together. You are going to LOVE what we have in store for you! But in the meantime, I thought I’d share a little bit about myself since we’ll be spending so much time together.
The Top Ten Things You Need to Know About Susan
OK, maybe not NEED to know, but whatever!
- I’m an English teacher turned editor. For 16.5 years, I was a classroom teacher in three different states. In addition to all things related to language arts, I taught art and religion. I’m blessed to call many of my former students friends! In 2008, I accepted a position with Paper Crafts magazine where I leapt into publishing, and I’m so happy to be back in the game here with Scrapbook & Cards Today!
- I’m a scrapbooker turned card maker. I’ve always been interested in photos, so making the leap into scrapbooking wasn’t hard! I started officially scrapbooking in 1999, but when I took the position at Paper Crafts magazine, that’s when my interest in card making took flight. It’s incredibly satisfying to create something pretty and then send it to someone who needs a pick-me-up!
- I live for road trips. Nothing energizes me more than hitting the open road! I’ve crisscrossed the United States by car with my family AND by myself. My parents instilled in me a love of car travel, and I count my sister as my favorite travel partner. Tunes. Wide open spaces. Adventure!
- I’m a cheerleader. Not only did I cheer in grade school and high school, I also coached cheerleading for several years. NOW I get the chance to cheer on creative types in their various paper pursuits!
- My closet brings me JOY. My love of bargain shopping comes close to card making when all is said and done. And I have this quirky thing that I do… All of my clothes are on hangers that match the color of the piece of clothing hanging on it!
- I love red wine. Share a bottle with me, and we are friends for life!
- Baseball is LIFE. As a born and raised Michigander, I’m a diehard Detroit Tigers fan. Sitting in the stands at a baseball game seriously makes me giddy! Hot dogs, fresh air, the crack of the bat — nothing could be better.
- I have a strong faith. I’m active in the Lutheran church, and I’m saved by grace! My sister and I often sing for special services, and our church people are seriously the coolest.
- I’m a daughter, a sister, an aunt, and the baby of the family. I’m not gonna lie, I had an idyllic childhood! I’m the youngest of four, and I have two teen-aged nephews. My 81-year-old dad lives about four miles away from my sister and me in Utah, and it’s an honor to care for him. My mom passed away last September. We miss her so much, but we will see her again someday!
- I’m slightly obsessed with flamingos! I don’t know WHAT it is, but flamingos are just so pink and fabulous! Which brings me to this card that I want to share with you today:
supplies CARDSTOCK: Bazzill Basics; DIES: Echo Park Paper, My Favorite Things; STAMPS: My Favorite Things; INK: Tsukineko; EMBOSSING POWDER: American Crafts; ADHESIVE: Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L
Working for Scrapbook & Cards Today is a life I love!
If you’d like to learn more about my style and my life, you can find me on social media here:
Facebook: Susan R. Opel
Pinterest: Susan Opel
What a joy it is to be joining the SCT team working with such a phenomenal group of designers and leaders in the industry! It’s a dream come true!
I can’t wait to get to know the readers of Scrapbook & Cards Today better, and I’m looking forward to celebrating the hobby we love so much! You are my people!
Susan R. Opel, Editor-in-Chief
11th birthday celebration winners - announcement will be made HERE at 12:00 pm EST today!